AAANY's Advocacy Priorities
Law Enforcement Accountability
Our goal is to increase transparency and accountability within the New York Police Department and end discriminatory policing practices impacting people of color and religious minorities.
- NYPD Muslim Spying? Here Are the Facts! (Download fact sheet here).
- Stay updated with the latest news & activities around NYPD policies & their impact on our communities! Like the Muslim American Civil Liberties Coalition on Facebook.
- ACTION ALERT! Urge Your Council Member to Support Legislation for NYPD Accountability & Oversight, Back “Inspector General” Bill: Law enforcement accountability activists and community leaders are calling on all New Yorkers to contact their NY City Council Members to mobilize support for the “Inspector General” bill and the “Community Safety Act,” a package of bills aimed at ending discriminatory and abusive policing practices by the New York Police Department. The Inspector General would provide transparency into the largest police force in the country and review NYPD’s policies and practices impacting such as stop and frisk and surveillance of Muslim communities. To date, 32 Council Members have sponsored the “Inspector General bill.
- Take the "Communities United for Police Reform" pledge to help build community power to promote safety & end discriminatory, unlawful, and abusive policing practices in NYC!
ImmigrationWe support long-term solutions and immigration laws that keeps families together and ensure that all people, irrespective of status, have access to equal rights and opportunities.
- Organize for Immigration reform: The AAANY joins immigrant advocates and families calling for just and humane immigration reform that creates a path way to citizenship, reunates and keeps families together. Safe cards, civil and human rights. Learn more about our work, " New Yorkers for Real Immigration Reform"
- Support DREAMers with DACA: The AAANY provides support to undocumented youth eligible for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, new policy that offers relief from deportation to young immigrants who were brought to the United States as children and who meet other specific requirements. Learn more about our work and the Dreamer Protection Collaborative here.
- New York State DREAM Act