Adult Education Program Manager
The Arab American Association of New York (AAANY) seeks an experienced and dedicated Adult Education Program Manager to bring our dynamic Adult Education Program to the next level of student-support and success.
Reports to: Deputy Director
Supervises: Adult team members, currently including full-time Program Associate and three part-time Instructors
- Setting Adult Education program and team goals, agenda, and direction in consultation with program staff, students, volunteers, and AAANY administration
- Managing all aspects of AAANY’s Adult Education Program, which includes enrolling 60+ students each quarterly course cycle for Literacy-Advanced level ESOL classes at the Adult Education site, as well as elective classes including citizenship, writing, and conversation.
- Supervising Adult Education Team which currently includes 3 part-time instructors, full-time Program Associate; supporting interns and volunteers within the program; teaching as needed
- Providing quarterly grant reporting data and narratives to the Office for New Americans (ONA); collecting and managing grant data on student attendance, improvement on BEST Plus tests, and other outcomes with support from Program Associate, teachers, and interns
- Collaborating with AAANY colleagues on connecting the Adult Education program with advocacy, immigration, and other initiatives; interfacing with funders and external partners; attending relevant meetings and trainings
- Supporting AAANY and Association staff in working towards our organizational mission and goals
We are seeking experienced adult educators who excel at team and program management, have exceptional cultural competency and communication skills, and are committed to learning and growth. You should have:
- At least 3 years experience in the Adult Education classroom, with the ability to teach and cover classes at any level from Literacy to Advanced level students. The candidate should understand the specific needs, goals, and challenges of adult immigrant learners and be able to support students in meeting their different goals.
- At least two years (preferably more) of program or team management experience, ideally in the non-profit sector. The ideal candidate will be able to manage a diverse and dynamic Adult Education team, provide regular feedback and support, cultivate partnerships, and advocate for the program, staff, and students.
- Strong cultural competency and communication skills: the ability to interface with multiple stakeholders including students, staff members, volunteers, clients, funders, and external partners of diverse linguistic and cultural backgrounds in a way that is respectful, knowledgeable, and fosters mutual understanding.
- Commitment to learning and growth in a fast-paced non-profit environment. The candidate should be capable of growing and strengthening the program and willing to learn and grow with it.
- Project management skills: staying on top of multiple projects, planning backwards and anticipating obstacles, identifying and involving stakeholders appropriately, and using resources wisely.
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree or Equivalent Experience. Formal study of TESOL/adult education including certificate and/or university-level programs preferred.
Arabic-speakers are strongly preferred. Familiarity with the languages, cultures, and traditions of the Arab world and and experience working in New York’s Arab immigrant community also major assets. Other preferred qualifications include:
- Experience working with and developing social justice oriented lessons and curricula
- BEST Plus certification
- Experience with grant reporting and non-profit development extremely valuable. Familiarity with the Apricot database software a plus.
- Salary Range: High 30K based on experience.
- Benefits include a health plan partially subsidized by the organization and 15 paid vacation days, six sick days and three personal days and paid holidays. Opportunities for professional development are available and encouraged.
- Full-time permanent position Monday-Friday, with some opportunities for a flexible work schedule around classes and programming.
How to apply:
To apply please send a detailed cover letter and resume to applications@ArabAmericanNY.org with “Adult Education Program Manager” in the subject line.