description: ESOL TEACHING ASSISTANT INTERNSHIP
ADULT EDUCATION PROGRAM
For several years, AAANY has offered English classes to our community members free of charge. We currently offer multiple levels of ESOL classes including Literacy, Beginner, and Intermediate. This is an unique opportunity for anyone looking to gain tutoring and teacher assistant experience. Without dedicated and committed volunteers, we would not be able to serve our community.
Volunteers will assist teaching adults who are learning English language skills necessary for living, working, and participating in our community. Volunteers will work closely with our Adult Education Coordinator in order to help support the development of our students' listening, reading, speaking, and writing skills. This is an excellent opportunity for those interested in gaining teaching experience and serving the immigrant community of Brooklyn. Previous teaching experience is preferred but not required; participants will receive training and support. Classes run from 9:30 - 12:30 Monday through Thursday, with an additional two-hour makeup class on Fridays. Volunteers are expected to commit at least 3-4 hours two days a week (Monday - Friday) for a 3 month cycle minimum. Other commitments will be considered.
- Facilitating an Adult Education English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) class by collaborating with ESOL instructors
- Coordinating with the Adult Education program coordinator to make sure students are provided with as much support as possible
- Taking attendance of the students who are present for each ESOL session
- Provide timely survey feedback to Association staff regarding both volunteer and student satisfaction and performance
- Strong desire to improve the English language skills of students
- Previous experience from working with teaching or tutoring is preferred
- A strong and genuine desire to help a diverse immigrant community
- Professional, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
- Applicants available for at least three months of teaching, assisting, or tutoring are strongly preferred
- Volunteers with a background in Arabic are especially encouraged to apply. Arabic conversation exchanges can be arranged for volunteers hoping to improve Arabic language proficiency
- Must be able to commit a minimum of six hours a week
The Adult Education Teaching Internship provides an excellent opportunity for educators and aspiring educators to engage and hone their skills in classroom teaching and curriculum development. Our Adult Education program serves adults seeking to learn English and improve their literacy skills. The intern will gain extensive experience and knowledge related to lesson planning and teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL).
If you like to apply for this position, please send a resume and the reason why you would like to apply for this position to the Adult Education Associate at firstname.lastname@example.org.