description: Adult education teaching intern
The Adult Education Teaching Internship provides an excellent opportunity for educators and aspiring educators to engage and hone their skills in classroom teaching and curriculum development. Our Adult Education program serves adults seeking to learn English and improve their literacy skills. The intern will gain extensive experience and knowledge related to lesson planning and teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL).
Start Date and Hours
We require a minimum commitment of 3 months between October and December. The position begins October 5th, 2016. The Adult Education Teaching Intern is expected to commit a minimum of 15 hours/week to the Association including at least 6 hours of class time per week and additional planning, some of which can be done off-site. Hours and days are somewhat flexible.
- Teach ESOL, conversation classes, and other classes
- Plan and prepare for weekly classes in collaboration with other teachers
- Develop curricula and materials for ESOL classes to supplement Stand Out textbook
- Assist with attendance, relevant data entry, and management
- Teaching and/or tutoring experience
- Experience working in immigrant communities is preferred
- Experience with curriculum development and design preferred
- Knowledge of spoken and written Arabic is preferred but not required; knowledge of Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, or other languages other than English also valuable
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite and Google Apps preferred
- Must be available two consistent days/week