The Arab American Association of New York (AAANY) seeks an experienced community organizer for the position of "Advocacy Coordinator".
AAANY is a non-profit grassroots organization located in the heart of the Arab community in Brooklyn,NY. Our mission is to support and empower Arab-American, Arab immigrant and Muslim communities by providing direct service and organizing tools to address their most immediate needs and a platform for them to become engaged members of society.
- Coordinate all advocacy campaigns based on priority issues including police accountability, immigrant rights, civic engagement and develop work plans accordingly
- Facilitate organizing committees and advocacy events including workshops, trainings, events, town halls, and press conferences
- Canvass and conduct outreach to community-based groups, faith-based institutions, allies and build strategic partnerships to advance AAANY's advocacy priorities
- Research and track policy and media developments onadvocacy campaigns
- Prepare materials and draft statements for AAANY on advocacy related issues in a timely manner
- Represent AAANY publicly and in coalitions working on relevant AAANY advocacy priorities
- Support and mentor organization participants (youth and adult education) and engage them in campaign work
- Supervise and manage advocacy staff and community organizing interns/fellows
- Draft and support executive staff on advocacy related grants and applications
- Bachelor's Degree in Political Science, Public Policy or related field; relevant/equivalent work experience required
- 3 to 5 years experience in community organizing, advocacy or campaign work
- Passion and commitment to social justice, the empowerment of Arabs, Muslims, South Asians and the advancement of communities of color
- Excellent research, written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access), Wordpress and social media platforms
- Think strategically, work effectively both independently and collaboratively when appropriate
- Ability to travel occasionally
- Bilingual English/Arabic/Urdu/Spanish preferred
How to Apply
Please send a resume, cover letter and writing sample to info@ArabAmericanNY.org with "Advocacy Coordinator" in the subject line. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.