Position Description: After-School Tutor
After-School Tutoring Program
Kitaab Club, AAANY's after-school tutoring program, operates throughout the academic school year and offers free homework assistance and literary support to 1st to 8th grade students who are struggling to perform at grade level. Without dedicated and hard-working volunteer tutors, we would not be able to nurture the development of young English Language Learners.
Volunteers will work closely with our Program Staff to coordinate and facilitate Kitaab Club as well as provide tutoring and enrichment for students so that they can master necessary skills to strive for excellence in their academics and gain real world experience. Tutors will have the opportunity to familiarize themselves with issues facing the Arab American and Arab immigrant community as well as young English Language Learners.
- Friendly and positive demeanor
- Previous experience working with children
- Strong desire to improve the English language skills of students
- Consistent and reliable
- Ability to speak Arabic desirable but not required
Volunteers are asked to:
- Support Program Staff with curriculum development
- Help students with their daily homework assignments
- Facilitate English Language Enrichment activities and games
- Act as a mentor to students by illustrating appropriate behavior and ethics
- Manage classroom materials and student files
- Assist with database management and provide general office help
- Attend monthly trainings and reflection meetings
- Flexible within program hours. As of now, Kitaab Club runs on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 3:00PM - 5:00PM. Tutors are expected to commit at least six hours/week for a minimum of three months.