DEscription:citizenship program intern
The Arab American Association of New York is looking for a dedicated and qualified applicant to lead the expansion of our Citizenship Test Preparation Program. As Citizenship Program Intern, you will have the opportunity to engage with all areas of our program, including community outreach, curriculum development, class instruction and volunteer recruitment and management. This is an excellent opportunity for individuals who want to gain experience with the United States naturalization process, citizenship education, and for those who want to help new and recent immigrants become citizens of the United States.
The Citizenship Program Intern is expected to commit at least 15 hours/week of work with the Association; hours and days are somewhat flexible.
- Teach citizenship classes and conduct one-on-one tutoring sessions for naturalization applicants
- Register clients for class enrollment and schedule and coordinate tutoring sessions between clients and volunteer tutors
- Maintain clientele database for grant reporting
- Conduct outreach to naturalization applicants in collaboration with casework office
- Support Case Manager in client intake and naturalization case management
- Research and develop curricula and activities to support citizenship classes and tutorial sessions
- Interest in the naturalization process and working with the Arab Community
- Strong organization and problem-solving skills
- Knowledge of spoken and written Arabic is preferred; knowledge of Spanish or other languages is highly valuable
- Teaching and/or outreach experience preferred
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite and Google Apps preferred