Position Description: College Advisor
The Volunteer College Advisor will help students of all ages and their families define and develop educational career plans as well as assist with the completion of college admissions and financial aid applications.
This position provides an excellent opportunity to get a hands-on experience with a dynamic non-profit working with the Arab immigrant community. This is excellent preparation for individuals interested in pursuing a career in academic advising, school counseling, human resources, and social work.
- Assist students with college admissions and financial aid applications
- Help students define and develop realistic educational career plans
- Counsel students on career options and guide their development of job search skills and resume building
- Act as a liasion between students and college admissions offices
- Provide accurate and useful information about college, career and financial support opportunities
- Maintain an advising record for each advisee
Bachelor's Degree in related field
Experience working with college students or young adults in an academic or career services counseling capacity
- A strong and genuine desire to help students with their college admissions process
- Professional, interpersonal skills as well as attention to details
Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
Ability to commit at least six hours a week within business hours (10AM - 5PM) for three months