The Arab American Association of New York (AAANY) seeks a highly experienced and organized non-profit manager for the position of Deputy Director. The Deputy Director plays a critical role in development and fundraising, as well as overall management of the organization, its staff, and programs. The Deputy Director reports to Executive Director, and manages 10 direct reports.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Development & Fundraising
The Deputy Director (in concert with the Executive Director) is primarily responsible for the management of AAANY's development work; maintaining and growing current foundation support, identifying new funding opportunities, managing government contracts, and coordinating major fundraising events. With the support of a full-time Development Associate, they are responsible for grant writing, grant reporting (which includes coordination with staff on data collection), and processing reimbursements for all grants. Prior grant writing experience is required, experience working with government contracts is strongly preferred.
The Deputy Director will supervise an Operations Manager, who ensures that all day-to-day operations run smoothly. The Deputy Director may also act as representative to internal and external constituents in the absence of the Executive Director.
The Deputy Director acts as the organization's HR officer, ensuring staff adhere to the policies and procedures of the organization, as well as managing all conflicts or issues with employees. They administer payroll and benefits, collect timesheets, keep track of vacation and sick hours, and are tasked with evaluating staff performance across programs. It is the responsibility of the Deputy Director to ensure proper communication is flowing among staff, including convening regular staff and team meetings.
- Masters Degree strongly preferred, Bachelors Degree required. At least 4-5 years of nonprofit or organizational management experience is needed, and preferably a familiarity with community based organizations.
- Grant writing & reporting experience required. Government contract management experience preferred.
- Significant experience managing a team or staff of 5+ people.
- Ability to multi-task effectively & in a coordinated manner and adapt to the challenges of satisfying multiple stakeholders.
- Experience with financial management, including budgeting, cash flow projection, and a basic understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Familiarity with New York advocacy and social service landscape, and existing relationships with funders, is a significant advantage
- Strong "code-switcher" – comfortable communicating with board members, elected officials, donors, and clients.
- Familiarity with QuickBooks and basic database software preferred.
- High-level written and verbal communication skills.
- Microsoft Word and Excel proficiency required, Constant Contact, Squarespace, and Wordpress experience a plus.
- Extremely well-organized and manages their time effectively.
- Cultural competency and experience working in urban communities of color.
- Commitment to social justice, and a passion for local work.
- Arabic speakers, or those with experience working with the Arab community, are especially encouraged to apply.
Starting salary: $50,000 per year. Benefits include a basic health plan subsidized by the organization, 3 weeks of paid vacation, and paid sick and personal days. Opportunities for professional development are available and encouraged for all staff.
To apply, submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with "Deputy Director" in the subject line.