Position Description: ESOL Teacher
Adult Education Program
For several years, AAANY has offered English classes to our community members free of charge. We currently offer multiple levels of ESOL classes including Literacy, Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced. Most of our classes are women-only in order to provide a culturally sensitive learning environment, however mixed classes are available. Without dedicated and committed volunteers, we would not be able to serve our community.
Volunteers will teach adults who are learning English language skills necessary for living, working, and participating in our community. Volunteers will work closely with our Adult Education Coordinator in order to help support the development of our students' listening, reading, speaking, and writing skills. This is an excellent opportunity for those interested in gaining teaching experience and serving the immigrant community of Brooklyn, NY. Previous teaching experience is preferred; participants will receive training and support. This position will start on October 5th, and volunteers are expected to commit two days a week until the end of our quarter in December.
- Facilitating an Adult Education English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) class by collaborating with ESOL instructors
- Coordinating with the Adult Education program coordinator to make sure students are provided with as much support as possible
- Taking attendance of the students who are present for each ESOL session
- Provide timely survey feedback to Association staff regarding both volunteer and student satisfaction and performance
- Strong desire to improve the English language skills of students
- Previous experience from working with teaching or tutoring is preferred
- A strong and genuine desire to help a diverse immigrant community
- Professional, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
- Applicants available for at least three months of teaching are strongly preferred
- Volunteers with a background in Arabic, Spanish and Chinese are especially encouraged to apply. Arabic conversation exchanges can be arranged for volunteers hoping to improve Arabic language proficiency
- Must be able to commit a minimum of five hours a week