Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director (ED) will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for AAANY's staff, programs, expansion and execution of its mission. S/he serves as the face of and key spokesperson for AAANY to all external stakeholders: individual donors, foundations, government entities and local/state policymakers. The Executive Director is supported by a full-time Deputy Director, Operations Manager and Development Associate.
- Develop, maintain, and support a strong board of directors; serve as ex-officio of each committee, seek and build board involvement with strategic direction that supports and guides the organization's mission.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner financial reports and updates at all board meetings and any information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
Leadership & Management:
- In partnership with the Deputy Director, supervises, mentors and develops staff directly and through training/development programming in order to enhance staff productivity and morale.
- In coordination with the Deputy Director, manages the organization's human resources, including hiring and evaluating AAANY's employees.
- Responsible for supervising and managing the Deputy Director and Advocacy and Civic Education team and accountability for personnel actions taken by other directors/supervisors, as well as understanding and acting in accordance with AAANY's policies regarding harassment and discrimination complaints.
- Ensure effective systems to track progress, and regularly evaluate program components, so as to measure successes that can be effectively communicated to the board, funders, and other constituents
Fundraising & External Relations:
- Deepen and refine all aspects of communications—from web presence to external relations with the goal of creating a stronger brand
- Act as the lead fundraiser for the organization to identify, cultivate and maintain working relationships with the community, partner organizations, government agencies, foundations and private organizations.
- Maintain effective public and community relations with the media, stakeholders, funders and community members.
- Establishes and maintains effective relationships with funding sources, federal, state and local government agencies, and other non-profits.
- In concert with the Deputy Director, identify and respond to requests for proposals as well as complete timely grant reporting.
Financial Performance and Viability:
- Maintain the fiscal integrity of AAANY including submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization.
- Ensure fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
The ED will be thoroughly committed to AAANY's mission. All candidates should have proven leadership, fundraising and relationship management experience. Concrete demonstrable experience and other qualifications include:
- At least 7 years of senior management experience; track record of effectively leading and scaling an organization and staff; ability to point to specific examples of having developed and operationalized strategies that have taken an organization to the next stage of growth
- Unwavering commitment to social justice and building the power of New York City's Arab and immigrant communities
- Past success working with a board of directors with the ability to cultivate existing board member relationships
- Strong public relations and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures; Understanding and experience with marketing and communication strategies, including traditional and web-based communications.
- Strong "code-switcher" – comfortable communicating with board members, elected officials, donors, and clients.
- Cultural competency and experience working in urban communities of color.
- Arabic speakers, or those with experience working with the Arab community, are especially encouraged to apply.
- Government contract management experience preferred, as well as knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to community-based organizations
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to convey a vision of AAANY's strategic future to staff, board, volunteers and donors
- Solid, hands-on, budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting
How to Apply:
Please send resume, cover letter and writing sample to email@example.com with "Executive Director" in the subject line