The Arab American Association of New York seeks a full‐time Immigration Navigator to join its staff as part of a coordinated citywide initiative, ActionNYC, which will reach immigrant communities across New York City to connect individuals to free immigration legal consultations, document preparation, and application assistance.
- Under the supervision of an attorney, pre-screen for eligibility for immigration benefit;
- Under the supervision of an attorney, provide application assistance to immigrants eligible for immigration benefits such as Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), Temporary Protected Status (TPS), naturalization, green card renewals, and others;
- Assist clients to obtain the documents necessary to apply for relief, fill out appropriate forms, and follow up with clients via phone, mail and email;
- Provide support to supervising immigration attorney handling more complex cases and make referrals to other legal service providers for complex cases that are beyond the scope of the ActionNYC program;
- Provide referrals for wraparound services;
- Create and maintain physical and electronic files, including managing correspondence with clients and documenting correspondence with immigration and other agencies; and
- Manage data entry in internal and external data management systems and assist with generating reports.
- A bachelor’s degree or professional and/community experience that may be the equivalent of or a substitute for a formal bachelor’s degree;
- Excellent and careful attention to detail;
- Effective communications skills, including written and verbal;
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills;
- Ability and experience working with diverse individuals and communities;
- Ability to work in a fast‐paced, high intensity environment;
- Flexible schedule and availability for occasional weekend work;
- Initiative and drive to learn and excel at the responsibilities described above;
- Preferred but not required:
- Bilingual in Arabic and English;
- Experience working as an immigration paralegal or advocate; and
- Demonstrated a commitment to social justice issues and experience working in a non-profit or community setting.
How to apply:
Interested applicants should send their resume, a cover letter and writing sample to email@example.com with "Immigration Navigator" in the subject line