The Arab American Association of New York is a 501(c) (3) not-for-profit social service and advocacy organization located in Brooklyn, New York. Our mission is to support and empower the Arab American and immigrant community by providing services that will help them to adjust to their new homeland and become active members of American society. Our aim is for families to achieve the ultimate goals of independence, productivity, and stability
Arab American Association of New York (AAANY) seeks a highly experienced team player for the position of "Community Organizer". This position will focus on revamping a Young Women's Program to engage and train more young women of color to become leaders and activists and organizing the first ever Muslim Organizing Summit in New York City.
The position is full time. Salary is $32,000 per year.
Advocacy + Civic Engagement:
Support AAANY campaigns which include civic engagement, police accountability, and immigrant rights
- Conduct outreach activities in the community
- Mobilize youth and community members around voter registration, get-out-the-vote activities including phone banking and canvassing
- Attend staff meetings
- Complete work plans and reports in a timely fashion
- Other tasks as assigned
Muslim Organizing Summit and Network:
- Support steering committee with logistics, note taking and follow up.
- Work closely with vendors
- Communication with steering committee via email and phone calls
- Social media and promotion
Brooklynat – Young Women's Organizing Program
- Facilitate a young women's program once a week focused on skills building, self esteem and activism
- Conduct outreach to young women at local high schools and Islamic schools
Bachelor's Degree or relevant/equivalent work experience required
1-2 years experience in community organizing or working with youth
- Ability to engage youth, build and manage teams
- Commitment to social justice and the empowerment of communities of color
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, and Wordpress)
- Bilingual English/Arabic/Urdu/Spanish preferred
Submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Community Organizer" in the subject line.